OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2009 07:18:57 -0500
Hi Russell here ,,My wife Janice and I went to Kildeer Plains and wasn't dissappointed . Always fun to explore the plains. We are 99% sure we seen the Immature Golden Eagle ,,  just  missed intersecting it as it flew across the road in front of us. What stood out was the  defined white patches of the wings. WE have seen many immature bald eagles in the past  and of different color phases and so  we are sure it was the Golden Eagle ,,  A  little  closer to the   the bird I would have toook a picture. Also I walked back  in  the pines   but didn't find any long ears but am sure again I seen the Northern Shrike ,,, I met Dan Sanders there and he said what I described sounded  like the shrike  and the way it sets atop the pines... it was at the very top of one of the pine trees ,  and as I was raising the camera to get a pic it flew. Years ago we had one in the side yard here in Lima , I live in the country on rt 501. Had an Eagle in my back field once  too ,, we get a lot of activity here, Lots of different warblers , the kinglets , hawks ,owls ,  got a bluebird trail , Below is a list of what we seen in Kildeer and on the way there.
4 kestrels
2 redtails
8 harriers
3 eagles