OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:57:06 -0800
Greetings to all!

It's that time of year again. Time to start the new year with a new year list and what better way then trying your hand at 100 species for the month of January.

Last year was a good one, although I just squeaked by (once again) and we had the record fall with Ryan Steiner's 138 species! I remember how a friend once said how a little friendly competition during the cold, dark months of winter helps to keep us all energized and in-touch with our friends to pass along lots of helpful information. This is also a great way to scour the country-side in search of rarities and unusual winter records which adds great info for publications like the Ohio Cardinal, the Bobolink. the Cleveland Bird Calendar and others. And...think of all of the breeding bird information that might be obtained discovering nesting raptors and such.

As for me...this is about year 11 or 12 participating in this bit of organized insanity...I believe...and I'll be
heading out with a couple of friends (a Su and a Sue, respectively) for
three, straight days of hard-core birding in the morning, all over the state, before heading back to classes and the start of winter quarter at OU.

So...for whatever reason you may try your hand at 100 Ohio birds, in the month of January, just remember to be safe and have a great deal of fun in the process. Good luck to any first-timers and to all of you who have tried before...I know that you can do much better this year! :)

I'll keep everyone posted if we find anything good and try to keep information on unusual rarities going as best as I can. Keep an eye on the list-serve for sightings and don't forget to check your local hotlines!

Have a safe and happy new year of birding, everyone!

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson

Graduate Student

Ohio University

Department of Environmental and Plant Biology

315 Porter Hall

Athens, Oh  45701

740-593-1126