OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 19:53:34 -0500
I had a couple hours to bird before sunset and headed to Burke Airport in
pursuit of the Snowy - no luck!  However, another birder and I enjoyed good
views of a Peregrine and Red-tail (pictures).  I posted a few pictures at
http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/ClevelandLakefront1509#
<http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/ClevelandLakefront1509>

Before leaving the airport I had a chance-encounter with the lady who drives
around scaring the birds off the runway.  She said the Snowy was still there
today at the other end (west) and that there are 3 Peregrines using the
area.  She also said there were three black swans around the submarine.  I
went looking but did not find them near the sub.  A few minutes later I saw
a birding-couple looking at them around the barges near Ohio Power and
stopped to take a couple pictures.  I had a similar sighting of a solitary
Black Swan at La Due Reservoir on November 29th
http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/BlackSwanAtLaDue#
<http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/BlackSwanAtLaDue>

A surprise came as I exited I-90 east at 72nd street exit and a Northern
Mockingbird flew in front of the car, showing large white patches on both
wings as it flew toward a tangle of brush on the right!  I was unsure about
posting this but Allen Cartier in Michigan had a sighting today in Michigan
and he is a lot further north than us.  I'm 95% sure of the I.D. as I have
seen plenty of these birds while living in North Carolina.

My final stop was 72nd street where I found a bazillion gulls flying in huge
circles and very skittish!  As soon as I left my car and started walking
toward the rocks, the birds sitting on the water (a good distance away)
picked up and flew further out!  The closer I got the more birds left - and
I was walking slowly wearing green and black, not exactly startling colors!
Anyway, I was impressed with how many were in the air and took a couple
pictures.

Good Birding,

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH