OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:36:20 -0800
I made my pilgrimmage to E. 72nd St. in Cleveland today.  It was as good as advertised for sure.  In about 90 minutes I saw 2 Thayer's gulls, 2 Iceland gulls, glaucous gull, 2 lesser black-backed gulls, an adult herring X great black-backed gull, lots of Bonaparte's and great black-backed gulls, and of course the throngs of ring-billed and herring gulls.  Waterfowl in the area were also quite interesting:  Am. black ducks, gadwall, 10 n. pintails, canvasbacks, redheads, 2 ring-necked ducks, lesser scaup, 4 ruddy ducks, pied-billed grebe, and 8 Am. coots.  Four swans flew in and landed behind Dike 14, they were pretty far away in binoc view.  They looked to be mute swans, of all things.  I took a look at Burke Airport, but saw nothing of note.  I headed east to the Eastlake Power Plant.  The lake was completely open there.  Diving ducks and gulls were present in modest numbers only.  Two double-crested cormorants were a different find.  Then I
 went SE towards home.  On the way, I checked rural areas in Geauga Co.  In Huntsburg Twp. were a dark rough-legged hawk, red-tailed hawk, and Am. kestrel.  Just south in Middlefield Twp. I saw another dark rough-legged hawk.  Finally, here in Poland Twp. (Mahoning Co.) this morning I had 3 pine siskins at the feeders.  Later, Craig