OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:36:40 -0500
As other have mentioned, with gas prices, family responsibilities, full-time employment, etc., I won't be participating in Century Club this year, yet again.  But, I thought I'd try a one-county half-century mark - 50 species in Licking Co.

My count currently stands at 40 - nothing particularly exciting, but some reasonably good birds:

Sunday, a northern mockingbird, and a group of cedar waxwings, neither species ever a sure thing in Licking Co. in January.

Pine siskens at Dawes Arboretum.

The St. Louisville bald eagle was cooperative - seen fairly often, but not reliable.  Three kestrels total, several different Cooper's hawks, a couple of red-tailed hawks and a beautiful northern harrier, the latter at the Croton egg farms area, round out the raptors.  In the past there has often been a red-shouldered hawk at BHG, but I didn't see it Sunday.

Black Hand Gorge provided four of the expected woodpeckers, but not a northern flicker.  However, it was swarming with golden-crowned kinglets.  I've never seen so many as I saw on Sunday.

The gravel pits have been very disappointing - other than the ubiquitous Canadas and a few mallards, only a pair of ring-necked ducks and a lone male bufflehead to pad the list.  Some years I have had 10+ species of waterfowl.  Last year a small group of coots over-wintered at T J Evans Park, but not this year!  I usually see at least one snow goose, but not this year.  Oh, well.

So, Joe and Jill, you are not alone!  Some day, I'll be retired, and maybe still in good enough health to give the Century Club a real try.  Till then, I'll savor what I have.  A bird in the hand, so to speak.

Margaret
Licking Co.