OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:49:39 -0800
I've never tried a January 100, but after a New Year's day black-legged kittiwake and white winged crossbills a few days later I decided it was a good year for it.  I'm currently at 62, and that's only from central Ohio.  A highlight today was a peregrine flying over whittier peninsula downtown (yeah, birding on the way to work!).  I'm spending tomorrow afternoon in Wyandot and Hardin counties and hope to add some field birds to the list.  Any good hotspots up there right now?  I was planning on Springville Marsh & Killdeer Plains but might make a detour to Findlay reservoir if it looks promising.  Thoughts?  I still need all the good geese and a few relatively common ducks.

Another question- do you just count Ohio birds for the 100?  I'm going to try to get 100 Ohioans, but I'm headed to Indiana for bird banding this weekend and will hopefully 'net' a few additional species there (sorry for the bad pun).  I plan on heading to the Lake towards the end of the month (those 72st posts are killing me!) for gulls and (dare I hope) a 2009 view of the jaeger & snowy.

A great year so far!
Cheers,
Heather