OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 13:32:53 -0800
I figured there would be plenty of eyes at E. 72nd in Cleveland today, so I went straight north to check the lakefront in Ashtabula Co.  First stop was at Conneaut harbor, there was only a little ice there.  Highlights were 3 tundra swans, Am. black ducks, canvasbacks, 60 lesser scaup, long-tailed duck, c. goldeneyes, 85 common mergansers, red-breasted mergansers, 2 Am. coots, and 25 great black-backed gulls.  Next I went west to Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula.  Here and behind the adjacent power plant I saw mallards, Am. black duck, a drake n. shoveler, canvasback, 30 redheads, 25 lesser scaup, 2 long-tailed ducks, a flyby white-winged scoter, 20 buffleheads, 75 c. goldeneyes, hooded merganser, 500+ common mergansers, red-breasted mergansers, 18 double-crested cormorants, and numerous gulls (none rare).  I checked Edgewood Cemetary in town next, and was rewarded with yellow-bellied sapsucker, pileated woodpecker, and Am. robin.  I cruised south
 towards Pymatuning next; in rural Ashtabula Co. I found 7 red-tailed hawks, red-shouldered hawk, 2 Am. kestrels, n. flicker, and Am. tree sparrows.  At the Pymatuning Res. causeway, there was no open water, but I lucked out when a flock of 15+ snow buntings set down in the parking lot area.  With them was a Lapland longspur.  There were more snow buntings along the causeway on the PA side.  A bald eagle came by, putting a fine exclamation point on the day.   Later, Craig