OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:15:35 -0500
Hi all,

I appreciate Bob bringing up the House Sparrow. His is an astute
observation, and House Sparrows do indeed appear to be in a steady downward
spiral, both in North America and in their native range.

Few of us will lament their disappearance, but this trend is still
interesting and possibly instructive. It's important to pay attention to
trends in common species - even introduced ones - as they too tell stories.

I put some thoughts in data up on my blog about the case of the House
Sparrow, if you are so inclined to read about these reviled but interesting
birds: http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio