OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Katrina Heinzen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katrina Heinzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:36:47 -0500
Hello all,
Drue, thank you for opening up this topic.  I've enjoyed the thoughtful and
respectful responses as well.

I realize I may be skating on thin ice in that there may be a more
appropriate forum than this list to ask my questions, so please respond
off-list directly to [log in to unmask] regarding the following.
 This discussion just opened up the topic so well that I couldn't resist...

I am a relatively new naturalist at the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes
(Cleveland area) and have been brainstorming new programming ideas to
propose to the center.  As birds were my first love in nature (received my
first bird field guide at age 5 and have been hooked ever since), my
thoughts turn to this topic first.  This area is rich with great birding
--AND great birders!!!

I would like to invite feedback (again, off the list) if anyone can envision
a birding need which could be met at the NCSL, either for youth or adults.
 We are eager to find out what the community wants and needs, but please
know this invitation comes from me personally, not from the nature center.
I just had the impulse to try to tap into the always-enthusiastic minds of
this birding community.

Regarding YOUTH AND BIRDS:
Do any of you in the area have children, grandchildren, neighbors, etc. who
would enjoy a series of youth birding hikes this spring around Shaker Lakes
and the Doan Brook Gorge?  (a magical place to explore under any
circumstances!)   I'd like opinions on what type of activities would be most
enjoyable and whether we need to come up with any kind of "cool" angle to
market them these days.  As a kid, creeping around the woods, fields and
lakes with binoculars was enough for me, and I've met some youth who feel
the same way, but they do seem to be in the minority.  I'd love to connect
all the youth in the area who DO feel that way, though, and help lead some
grand adventures.

Also, I think our youth could benefit from and be inspired by many of our
local veteran birders.  Those of you whom I've met are amazingly
knowledgeable and generous.  If anyone would be interested in volunteering
and joining me in these efforts, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, all.  Any input from any angle is appreciated to aid the endeavor to
increase enthusiasm for all things outdoors in the younger generation.

Wishing great birding to you all in 2009,
Katrina Heinzen

[Also, if anyone has an idea for a speaker/topic for our Environmental Town
Hall series, I'd be happy to pass that along to the appropriate staff.  Feb.
13 we do have a birdwatching-related guest speaker.]