OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
James E Fry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James E Fry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:26:43 -0500
On December 29, 1970 Dr. Milton B. Trautman pointed out
to me a Black-legged Kittiwake at Hoover Reservoir just above
the dam. It was a life bird for me. This bird is included as
one of "two....from.... the Columbus area" in The Birds of Ohio by
Bruce Peterjohn on page 96 in the first edition(1989)and page 240 in
the revised edition(2001).The first confirmed Black-legged Kittiwake
in Ohio was reported from Buckeye Lake in 1925 by Dr. Trautman.
Jim Fry
Hocking County

P.S. Bruce is now Chief of the Bird Banding Laboratory, named

to that position this past October. He returns to Ohio each June to
"run breeding bird survey routes."