OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:09:36 -0500
On Sunday, 02/0/09, I relaxed a bit in the morning from birding hard
every weekend in January.  After noon I looked for the previously
reported White-winged Scoter near Dayton on the Greater Miami River at
the Dryden Road Bridge and also checked the waterfowl and gulls at
Carillion Park.  I didn't find the scoter, but found 10 Hooded
Mergansers and 3 Common Golden-eye at Carillion Park.

I next visited West Manchester on Route 127 to look for Eurasian
Collared-Dove, previously reported there earlier in January.  I started
at the church on Orchard Street and the house next door with the feeders
in the back yard.  I found only Mourning Doves.  After a first pass
through most of the streets, I returned to the church on Orchard Street
at about 4:20 pm.  There were two doves picking grit on the street.  One
was a Eurasian Collared Dove.  The other was a very white and slightly
mottled bird that appeared to be partially but mostly a Ringed
Turtle-Dove.  There was enough time to drive north to try for the White
Pelicans that have spent the winter at Grand Lake St. Marys.  I checked
out the Kozy Campground but found only completely frozen lake and
roosting Canada Geese and a few Mallards that were flying out to feed
and several Great Blue Herons standing on the ice.  I checked the area
at the west end boat ramp but found only frozen lake.  I continued north
on the road toward Bella's that is right by the lake with condominiums
on the left south of Bella's.  There are two boat docks opposite the
condominiums with bubblers that had open water which attracted about 6
Great Blue Herons and some Mallards and Canada Geese.  A single White
Pelican was roosting on one of the boat docks.  The bird looked cold
even though today was quite mild in comparison to recent weeks.  I got
some photos which I will post and will announce where they are posted.
Too bad that I didn't see the dove and pelican in January, but it was
fun to add them to my year list.

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH