OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:53:00 -0800
We headed to Franklin Square in Columbiana County to look for the 2 White-fronted Geese & the single 'Blue Goose'.  We found the pond just north of the center of Franklin Square with no trouble but it took some time scanning the 300 or so Canadas to find the White-fronteds.  They were sitting on the ice, facing away from us with their heads completely tucked under so it took several passes before we finally saw 1 lift it's head enough to see the white markings.  Eventually we saw them up & moving around providing excellant looks.  They really were pretty close to the road.  While we were watching them, the Lanes showed up & told us they had seen the Blue Goose in the fields behind the pond that were closer to the opposite road.  So we drove around  & (with Bob's help) were finally able to locate that one also.  Other birds at Franklin Square were Canvasbacks, Ring-necked, Redhead, Widgeons, Great Blue Heron & Mute Swans.

From there we went with the Lanes to Salem Reservoir. The waterfowl there included Canvasbacks, Coot, Pintail, Redheads, Widgeons, Gadwells, Scaup, & Mallards.  Also among the Giant Canadas, we are pretty sure we were able to make out 3 Cackling Geese.  They were constantly on the move amongst about 200 Giants so we had difficulties trying to relocate them.  This was in the afternoon & they were back lit, which didn't help matters so if you go, try to go in the morning.  While we were scanning the waterfowl, a flock of 50-70 Cedar Waxwings flew into the pines behind us.  Thankfully, 1 person was able to give a heads up to those who had their eyes glued to a scope.

Franklin Square is southeast of Salem, about 1/2 way between RT 45 & RT 11 on RT 588 (old DeLorme 53B5.  Salem Resevoir is southwest of Franklin Square & just a short ways northeast of Guilford Lake.  I encourage anyone within an hour's drive of this area to check it out.  It should prove to be well worth your time, with productive agricultural fields, hemlock gorges, several lakes with open water & other interesting habitats.

Laura & Tim Dornan