OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:33:38 -0800
Over the weekend, I had a male redwing blackbird at my feeder.  Last spring I had both male and female coming to the feeder.  Up to that point, I was not aware that redwings ate at any of the feeders.  He was not singing so the females must not have arrived yet.  Also on River Road in Hunting Valley over near the South Chagrin Reservation it was like a birding hotspot last Saturday.  I saw many, many hawks.  I actually saw a Coopers Hawk fly over my car and go directly to a low fence post where his female was waiting for him.  He brought her lunch with what looked like some kind of rodent in his talons.  I stopped the car and watched as he picked at it and then fed it to her.  I called at least 3 people from my car just to share my joy at seeing this.  I thought to myself, could it get any better than this?  I sure wish humans displayed that kind of open sharing.  I spotted a kestrel, a sharp shinned hawk, several red tails and 2
 eagles that day.  It turned out to be a great day.

Joan M. Scharf

"Our lives are frittered away by detail; simplify, simplify."
     - Henry David Thoreau