OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 08:48:34 -0500
The large adult Bald Eagle, probably a female, and two juveniles continue
to hang out behind Fremont's water filtration plant. They've been there all
fall and winter so far. The warm, open-water channel flowing out of the
plant into the Sandusky River keeps them well-supplied with waterfowl and
thousands of large shinners, which the gulls and ducks leave behind. This
is the 7th day in a row I've spotted the trio. Several times they've
straffed flocks of ducks, to check for weak or wounded ones and on two
occassions they've been tearing away at large, brown waterfowl of some sort
on the ice. Don't know if they killed them. I suspect they did. Most of the
time, I see them pick up dead shinners on the ice, which were too large for
the Mallards to swallow, over 5 inches long, and fly to the tree tops,
where they down them in two gulps (I witness it through 40X's telescope).
Plenty of food and fun birding. Robert