OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:39:59 EST
After two days of listening to the wind howl and having the electric power
flicker, I decided it was time to face the music and see how much damage the
storm caused with my nest boxes at the Hoover Nature Preserve. As I drove from
the house to the preserve I observed many yards with freshly downed trees and
I  expected the worse. I checked out Areas L M and N in Galena and was
surprised  when I found numerous trees were downed by the storm, but it appears
that only one with a nest box toppled. Hopefully the other areas will have  fared
as well.

In the last two weeks the water levels at Hoover Reservoir have risen from
over 8 feet below normal to about 4 feet below normal. The water in the lower
sections of Hoover Reservoir are open and there is a variety of waterfowl
present, although many are tucked into the coves on the east side. The upper end
of the reservoir is still mostly iced in. Waterfowl I located on the main
part  of the reservoir and on Big Walnut Creek off Area N included Canada Geese,
Mallards, American Black Ducks, American Wigeon, Ring-necked Ducks, Redhead,
Canvasback, Gadwall, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser and Northern Shoveler. Back
in  Area N I located a Great Horned Owl, several Red-headed Woodpeckers and a
 Red-shouldered Hawk. Off Area M there were two immature Bald Eagles.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Awards.  AOL Music takes you there.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000004)