OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Bob Baran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Baran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:29:06 -0500
I believe I posted back in late Nov, early Dec 2008 about a pair a Great
Horned Owls working some farm fields off the back of my yard in Hilliard. I
haven't really been looking lately but just by luck I happened to catch one
of them around 6:30 this evening. Perching and working the same are of the
fields as last time. It appeared he was getting some action.

A couple of questions for the experts out there:

Seeing that this owl (or the pair) is still in or has returned to the area,
what is their normal territorial range for hunting and nesting? There are
several patches of woods close by and I'm wondering if they could be in one
of those areas or will they fly great distances to hunt?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe now is not a good time to call Great
Horns as they could be nesting.

Regards,

Bob