OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:13:37 -0800
Since so many white-winged crossbills have been see around the state, we thought we would try to find some this afternoon.  I didn't really hold out much hope for success.We drove around for about an hour & found lots of Spruce trees that were really loaded with cones but we saw no crossbills (or birds of any kind for that matter).  When we got almost home, we looked in 1 of the last few trees available to us & I immediately saw some movement in the top of the tree.  Got out of the car for a closer look & sure enough, there were 3 white-singed crossbills.  The 1st one I got a good look at was an adult male, which really made the ID easy.  There were also 2 birds that were more olive color but the white wing bars still made them very identifiable.  Just now sure if they were females or immatures or 1 of each.  Were able to watch them for about 15 minutes.

These birds were found on Nickleplate Ave. in Louisville.  There were in 1 of 3 spruce trees in the front yard of the 2nd house north of the high school.  I have not heard of anyone else finding any crossbills in Stark Co.  Is that just because no one has been looking in this area?  There sure were lots of spruce trees that were really loaded with cones.  I don't remember ever seeing the trees so loaded.  Is that why crossbills are so prevelant this year?

Laura Dornan
Louisville, Stark County