OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:19:34 -0500
This is the first survey since January 11 due to the lake being frozen.
There is no ice what-so-ever off my house.  the strong winds the other night
cleared it out.  I was at home sick today, but was able to watch the lake.
There was a fantastic movement of gulls to the west.  I watched until 11:00,
but the gulls continued moving until late afternoon.  Although I picked up
glaucous, Iceland, and lesser black-backed I thought there would be more
white-winged gulls with the number passing by.  I'm not sure where they are
heading, but there were a lot of them.  There were modest numbers of ducks.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
February 13, 2009, 700-11:00
Weather- cloudy with snow
Winds- W 15-20, Temp- 33 F
Barometer- 30.10-30.15,
Humidity-90-83, Dew point- 28-29
Waves- 5-6 feet, Flight direction- west

Lesser scaup   19
Common goldeneye   3
Hooded merganser   6
Common merganser   4
Red-breasted merganser   44
Bald eagle   1 adult
Ring-billed gull   14,670
Herring gull   2,475
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL   2 (adult and 3rd cycle)
ICELAND GULL   2 (adult and 3rd cycle)
GLAUCOUS GULL   1 (1st cycle)
Great black-backed gull   229

John Pogacnik