OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:58:49 -0800
Today was one of those unexpected WOW days for me as I birded in Mahoning, Columbiana, Stark, and Portage counties.  Beginning in Mahoning Co., in Beaver Twp. I found wood duck, 3 n. pintails, Am. black duck, 5 Am. wigeon, a red-tailed hawk carrying nesting materials, and n. mockingbird.  Next I visited Pine L.  Here were:  pair of ad. bald eagles rehabbing last year's nest, red-bellied woodpeckers, e. bluebirds, n. mockingbird, and 2 molting yellow-rumped warblers.  On to a cool area I stumbled upon once in winter, the bottomlands of Franklin Square in N Columbiana Co.  Here were 2 ad. GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, 300+ Canada geese, 1 snow goose (ad. blue), and a mute swan.  Next I vectored to the south end of Berlin Res.  Lots of open water there held geese, mallards, Am. black duck, 2 wood ducks, 22 n. pintails, redhead, 32 ring-necked ducks, 9 hooded mergansers, great blue heron, ring-billed gulls, and herring gulls.  Upland areas yielded
 red-tailed hawk, Am. kestrel, and e. bluebirds.  Last stops were at L. Milton.  Again I found some open water in the south (upstream) end.  Gathered there were geese, many mallards, 35 Am. black ducks, 2 gadwall, 2 Am. wigeon, 5 mute swans, 63 canvasbacks, 10 redheads, 4 buffleheads, 60 c. goldeneyes, 10 hooded mergansers, 55 common mergansers, 3 great blue herons, an imm. bald eagle, ring-billed gulls, herring gull, and a belted kingfisher.  Spring has begun!!!!  Later, Craig