OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Becky Szabo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Szabo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:27:15 -0500
Hello,
I followed Scott Albaugh's advice and stopped by the marina area in
Jefferson County near Tiltonsville. There was indeed a great variety.
Noteworthy to me were the

dozens of Canvasbacks (a post on the WV listserv said 76)
red headed ducks 4
hooded mergansers 5 males, at least two females
buffleheads 2 adults and perhaps a juvenile
American coot 1 male and perhaps a female
many (maybe 150+) ringbilled gulls. There were also some larger gulls,
perhaps herring?
great blue heron 2
belted kingfisher 1
red necked grebe (put on a great show for me, diving and then coming
up with his fish)
kildeer 1
Canadian geese
mallards
red tailed (I think) hawk
cardinal

I could not find the horned grebe as previously reported. Also, there
was another duck, I thought, with a black head and similar white back
as the canvasbacks. Looking now, could it have been a scaup? As you
can tell, I'm pretty new with ducks! I visited twice actually from
9:30 to 10 am and returned later around 1:00 and stayed till 2:30 or
so. There was a beaver swimming near the shore who seemed to be
looking at me as I watched him.

Becky Szabo
Follansbee, WV (across the river from Steubenville)