OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2009 19:38:07 -0500
Things were a bit slower today.  Waterfowl numbers were up considerable.
Ring-billed gull numbers were down quite a bit from yesterday, but there was
a higher concentration of the larger gulls today.

One intrigueoing sighting was seen late this afternoon.  I happened to look
out on the lake and around 3:45 a huge cloud of birds got up above the
horizon.  The birds were out too far to see even if they were gulls or
ducks.  I was curious as to what would get the birds up that far out.
Usually it is an eagle or some other raptor that gets stuff up like that.  I
cannot imagine an eagle being that far out.  Unfortunately whatever it was
never came towards shore that I could see and the birds eventually settled
down.

At my feeders I had a couple dozen siskins and a  single redpoll.  Not much
else of note.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
February 14, 2009, 700-10:00