OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:29:03 -0500
While continuing my fence de-construction project and burning huge heaps of
ice storm fallout today - I had two Woodcocks calling and flying around the
property (old Delorme 70 D2) this evening right before dark for about 15
minutes.  This is two weeks earlier than the past three years in a row when
they typically arrive timely on Feb. 27 or 28.  Last week a friend of mine
reported hearing one in east central Athens County as well.  Also of note
was one Pine Siskin at the feeders and the neighborhood Screech Owl singing
in the middle of the day.  I haven't seen the group of Purple Finches since
the ice melted  I was hosting up to 7 or 8 birds each day during that cold
icy weather.  Red-shouldered Hawks are courting or at least hinting of such
interest.  I have a noisy pair that have been hanging out quite a bit
together and flying erratically at one another for the past week.  It's
blatantly spring as far as I am concerned - may the new season begin!

Good February birding to you all...

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake