OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:50:55 -0500
Hello; I ran across three swans which look more like Trumpeter than Tundra
Swans- 2 adults and one juvenile. They were in a private marsh area on the
west side of CR 265. I drove east of Fremont on Rt. 6 towards Pickerel
Creek WA. CR 265 is on the left off of Rt. 6 about 7 miles out of Fremont.
Turn left onto CR 265 at Racoon Creek, which has a large sign with the
creek's name on it. Drive down CR 265 about a quarter mile and the swans
are on the left. There were no yellow markings at the base of the bill, but
I know not all Tundra Swans have this marking. They seemed to have a larger
black bills than Tundra's have. One had a green neck band with yellowish
markings, which I couldn't read. All three seemed very large, bigger than
most Tundra Swans I've seen earlier in the Fall. However, I've been looking
at Tufted Titmice and juncos all winter, to my perception has been
influenced...they seemed like dinosaurs! Plus, these swans were much closer
to me than any I've spotted before. Any one know if the green neck band
with yellowish letters/numbers is being put on Trumpeter, or on Tundra
Swans? This would verify the ID. I'd appreciate you letting me know.
Further down the road is another large and newly-created marsh with about
15 Swans on it, but they were too far away to ID. Definately not Mute
Swans, though. Also in the area in and around Pickerel Creek WA:

2 N. Harriers
4 Bald Eagles
20 Mallards
40 Canada Geese
2 RT Hawks
Thousands of Starlings(ugh!)
2 Great Blue Herons

Visit the Wildlife-Friendly Yards Blog at:
http://wildlifefriendlylawn.blogspot.com/ and look at the WW Crossbill
Video in right margin. Robert