OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:40:49 -0500
"World Series" of Atlasing Event-Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
June 19-21, 2009 at Burr Oak State Park & Lodge

Fellow birders,

Ever heard of the World Series of Birding held in New Jersey every spring?
What about the Great Texas Birding Classic?  The Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
is proud to announce the 2009 World Series of Atlasing competition!  This
exciting competition should provide Ohio birders with an opportunity to
compete in a "World Series of Birding" type of event while simultaneously
advancing some important survey goals of the Atlas.  The competition will
take place from June 19-21 with a central location of operation at beautiful
Burr Oak State Park (Athens/Morgan County) where there is a lodge and
other accommodations.  This region of Ohio could yield as many as 120
nesting species during the weekend.  The event may produce some truly
exceptional finds.  Last summer, Mississippi Kites were spotted in the
greater Burr Oak area.  And what about all of those AEP recreation lands?
Think big...like "Short-eared Owl" big!

What is involved in the event?  #1 The main goal of the competition is to
attract many teams of 2-4 birders that will canvas the surrounding area for
breeding birds.  #2 Teams will fan out to randomly assigned territories of
2-3 atlas blocks.  #3 Prizes will be awarded to the teams with the highest
scores in specific scoring categories.  Final details for the event are
currently being finalized but please contact us if you have any questions
about participating, how the weekend will progress, or info on
accommodations.

We would like to start creating a list of participants so that we can plan
accordingly for the Burr Oak venue.  If you would like to be a team leader
and organize a World Series team, please contact us right away.  If you
would like to participate but aren't sure about organizing a team, let us
know and we can place you in an appropriate group.  You do not need to be an
"expert" birder in order to participate.  Competition inquiries should be
directed to Aaron Boone, OBBA2 Project Coordinator
([log in to unmask] OR 614.247.6458).

If you are interested in participating in this event, please try and contact
me with your intentions before April 1st.  We look forward to hearing from
everyone interested in what should prove to be a very exciting weekend of
birding this summer!

Aaron Boone
Project Coordinator
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II