OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Amy Winnicki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Winnicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:04:18 -0500
It took me almost a year and a half to see the pair of Bald Eagles on Chippewa Lake in Southern Medina County, though I only live half a mile away. Once I found the right place to see them, I found them often- they are very unafraid of people, and sit right above your head as you look at them. Over the winter they have been hunting on the south side of the lake where the water runs out, feeding with the geese and ducks in the water that never freezes. It is said that they have a nest on private property surrounding the lake, but I have never seen it. When you have a couple of eagles at your "home", you grow attached to them. That is why I was dismayed to hear that one of the eagles was found dead this week, frozen and mangled (by scavengers?) in the shallows of the lake. What would kill a Bald Eagle this time of year? Apparently, the county parks couldn't retrieve the body... possibly because it was on private property, encased in ice. I just wondered what the cause of death could be.

-Sarah Winnicki