OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Buckgymnast <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Buckgymnast <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:12:35 -0500
Many thanks to Renee ([log in to unmask]) for her tentative ID of the mystery duck found below Griggs Dam as a Leucistic Female Mallard. A Google search provides the following bit of information: "What makes this mallard so unique is her blond coloring.  This is due to a gene trait that sometimes occurs in birds called leucisism.  She looks like a pastel version of a regular female mallard." A Google image search yields a few images (very few) that are faithful to the duck Heather and I (and others!) found on the Scioto River last week. Thanks to all who helped and who continue to help in the hunt for an ID. Best to all.

David Holcomb
Worthington