OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:35:08 -0500
I'm going to be in Huron and Vermilion one day this week. Planning
tentatively to visit the Huron lighthouse/pier area, Huron river greenway
and DuPont marsh,  Old Woman Creek estuary and probably hit Sandy Ridge en
route.   Yeas or Nays on whether these areas are currently producing decent
variety of birds welcomed. Also, any other suggestions appreciated.

I have a red shouldered hawk visiting the yard daily again, after an absence
of a few weeks. His arrival is announced by the ruckus of jays, crows,
chickadees and other birds scolding his presence. He (she?) likes to sit in
my dwarf crabapple tree overlooking the neighbor's unmowed field. Comical in
a way, since he's only 6 feet off the ground, hunting like an oversized
bluebird.

One of the blue jays has figured out how to thwart my anti-squirrel bird
feeder -- one with a weight sensitive device that closes the feeder trough
cover when anything heavier than two cardinals perches there. He lands on
the finch feeder post a few feet away to plan his attack, presumably
selecting his target morsel, then flies to the weighted feeder and quickly
snatches the target as he lands, just before the cover snaps closed. He then
retreats to a nearby perch to consume his prize. These creatures are
certainly entertaining to watch!

Karen Gray
Copley/Summit Co.