OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 14:31:15 -0500
Greetings.

I have had a Cooper's Hawk walk around the base of a
forsythia bush where house sparrows gather.  At the time I
thought it was a bit odd.  I considered it might be just an
adaptation to urban living.

Linda Helm
Columbus, Ohio

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:15:48 -0500, Vincent Lucas wrote
> Hi:
>
> Recently, I, too watched as a Cooper's Hawk walked
> around on the ground and then actually walked
> under a chain-link fence(!) to presumably try to
> catch some small passerines (Savannah Sparrows)
>  near where I live. OK, this is Naples, FL not
> Ohio, but I thought it was interesting to note
> this behavior, which I've never seen before, since
> Larry had a similar experience. Is walking to
> catch prey common among raptors? Anyone?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Vince
>
> Vincent Lucas
> Naples, FL
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/leppyone/
> http://www.caloosabirdclub.org
>
> > Date:    Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:24:35 -0500
> > From:    Larry Gara <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Some avian drama
> >
> > Late this afternoon we were treated to the return of our
Red-
> > breasted =
> > Nuthatch which has fed in our yard almost daily since
fall. It is
> > always =
> > a treat to watch it.
> >
> > I also observed something new. An adult Cooper's Hawk
landed close
> > to =
> > the large
> > Pyracantha Shrub which provides protection for many of
the birds
> > that =
> > visit our feeder.Then the hawk actually walked into and
under the
> > shrub =
> > where there were undoubtedly some smaller birds huddled
down and
> > staying =
> > as still as though they were part of the growth. When I
opened the
> > back =
> > door the Cooper's flew away still hungry. It was all
just a bit of
> > drama =
> > provided by our interest in these amazing creatures.
> > Happy Birder Cheers,   Larry Gara
> > Wilmi

> Additional discussions can be found in our forums,
> at www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.
>
> You can join or leave the list, or change your
> options, at:
Send questions or comments about the list to:

--
WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)