OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:54:47 -0800
Thanks to Rick for his WW Crossbill post.  I don't think there is any question that this year's White-winged Crossbill invasion is historical, if not unprecendented.  I really have appreciated Chartier's tracking and mapping of MI White-winged Crossbills this season just as Ethan Kistler's here in Ohio.

"Chartier suggests that ALL cemeteries in Ohio should be checked, with or without hemlocks".

I agree with this, but keep in mind that cone-producing conifers - spruces, firs, tamaracks, etc. - SHOULD (must?) be present to expect success.  I think it would be a waste (at least as it pertains to looking for crossbills specifically) to wander through a cemetery that does not have any cone producers.

As to the WWCR situation here in the NW, they are basically everywhere there are evergreens with cones.  Reliable locations continue to be Woodlawn Cemetery in Toledo, Swan Creek Cemetery in Monclova Township and Oak Openings Metropark, among others.

Good Birding,

Greg Links
Somewhere Near Toledo
www.toledobirding.blogspot.com