OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Dan Gesualdo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:37:42 EST
Call me crazy, but after visiting with my folks I decided to make a quick
run out to Magee. It was clear and bright when I left and by the time I got
there the roads were covered with snow and visibility was less than a quarter
mile . But as luck would have it, the minute I pulled into Magee, there was a
break in the snow and it seemed to clear up for about 40 minutes.
2 Bald eagles soaring together
2 N. Harriers M/F
1 Kestrel-on a power line right at the entrance
2 N. Shrikes-one on the right at the far northwestern end of the causeway
and one on the left near the first pull-off
1 Brown creeper - west end of the boardwalk
1 Yellow-rumped warbler - flew across causeway
Canada Geese
1 GB Heron- in the small amount of open water in the pond to left as you
enter
49 Common mergansers on the lake putting on a quite a show (about 30
males-19 females)
Ring Billed gulls
16 Robins-Sportsman's center parking area
3 BC Chickadees - near tower

The viewing window in the BSBO was packed with birds:
22 RW Blackbirds (no rusties observed)
6 BH Cowbirds
5 Starlings
8 A. Goldfinches
11 Tree sparrows
3 Mourning Doves
4 Cardinals
Downy WP
5 House sparrows
1 Coopers hawk - rushed in and grabbed some fast food which scattered
everything but provided a moment of excitement.

As I left the BSBO the snow was really coming down and near white out
conditions in some areas. Good call on canceling the Auto-tour.
Good birding
Dan

**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)