OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:47:02 -0500
Geauga County, north of Middlefield, OH.

A great day for Rough-legged hawks within a few miles of Nauvoo and Hayes
Roads.  4 birds seen at one time on Hayes just north of Nauvoo.  South of
Nauvoo two more seen but not sure if it was from the original group.  On
Bundysburg Road just north of Nauvoo we spotted three more, one a dark morph
that reminded me of a TV from below but its wings were held flat while
soaring and it was 'arguing' with another R-legged.  So, a minimum of 6 and
possibly more individuals in the area.

The first group of 4 were interacting a lot!  My son took some action shots
which he is processing and we will post later.  If you have not seen them do
this I suggest you make the trip to this area.  They are not easy to
photograph unless you have a long lens.

Matt & Adam Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH