OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:25:26 -0500
     It appears the visit of the two Greater White-fronted Geese and the single "Blue Phase" Snow Goose at the northern Columbiana County location is over. On our arrival at the site, about 9AM this morning, we noticed there were very few waterfowl present; none in the corn stubble field and only a few Canada Geese, Hooded Mergansers, and American Widgeons at the lake. After a short period of time we heard the sound of a loud gunshot nearby; the remaining waterfowl all flushed and were long gone. Moving down the hill a ways we could see an older gentleman, obviously not a birdwatcher, and definitely aware we were watching him, holding a shotgun. His house is located on the bluff overlooking Little Beaver Creek and the corn stubble field and adjacent to the lake. In the next ten minutes, geese tried to come into the lake, but each time he would discharge his weapon into the air scaring them off! It is our belief that this situation was unfortunately and probably a result of increased human visitation to the area. The geese were seen from February 14th thru February 25th.

                        Bob and Denise Lane