OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:01:30 -0500
I've just returned from the Oak Hill cemetery in Upper Sandusky where I had a stunning view of a male RED CROSSBILL. This ind. starting calling from a hemlock as I was pishing a female white winged crossbill down from the top of the tree. He then, after calling ,remarkably broke into full song! He was still calling as I left flying with a group of 9 White winged crossbills feeding in spruce and hemlocks.

In all there were 21 White winged crossbills in 3 seperate groups. The first group of 5 birds landed briefly in the top of a hemlock and bolted away heading north toward Upper Sandusky.

7 inds., with only one male, were feeding on the cones of a blue spruce.

The last group had 9 inds. that were sticking to the hemlock trees. This was the group that contained the red crossbill.

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.