OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Dave Hochadel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hochadel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:10:43 -0500
Ohio Birders,

We found a group of 5 WW Crossbills at the cemetery at the corner of SR 88 and Hoffman-Norton Rd, west of Bristolville, Trumbull County this morning.  They were feeding in a large spruce tree.  Before we located them we became hopeful after noticing that several spruces had cones with obviously ragged edges that we surmised may have been caused by feeding crossbills. Has anyone else noticed this on spruce or other cones?  This might be a good tip-off that you are searching in a good location.

Dave and Judy Hochadel