OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2009 21:56:17 -0500
Oh, Birders,

Today I stepped out for a little bit to see how Blue Limestone along
the Delaware Run was doing. It was a good two hours, with 6 woodpecker
species in the area. I was surprised to find not one, not two, but
three Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers foraging in the area. Full list below:

Number of species:     29

Canada Goose     20
Mallard     5
Cooper's Hawk     1, rounding up some starlings and robins
Red-tailed Hawk     1, actively hunting in the area
Mourning Dove     14
Red-bellied Woodpecker     4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     3, first bird was an adult, second was
heard-only at first, but then I was able to see that it was a
juvenile, and the third bird was just a heard-only
Downy Woodpecker     10
Hairy Woodpecker     2
Northern Flicker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1, heard calling off the distance on the other
side of the railroad tracks
Blue Jay     6
American Crow     8
Horned Lark     1, flyover
Carolina Chickadee     20
Tufted Titmouse     7
White-breasted Nuthatch     8
Brown Creeper     2, a pair
Carolina Wren     3
American Robin     75
European Starling     50
American Tree Sparrow     12
Song Sparrow     1
White-throated Sparrow     20
Dark-eyed Junco     4
Northern Cardinal     34, large numbers, over 20 in one spot
House Finch     24
American Goldfinch     8
House Sparrow     10

Mammals, 4 spp.: