OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 06:01:05 -0500
Between 9:00 and 10:30 a.m. yesterday (Sunday, February 8th), I saw a flock
of about 15 white-winged crossbills at Woodland Cemetery in southern Dayton
(Montgomery County).  The flock was approximately 60% female and 40% male.

The birds were feeding in hemlock trees (I believe) and on cones that had
fallen to the ground on the ridge that overlooks Wayne Avenue in the
northeastern corner of the cemetery.  These trees are just east and
northeast of the sign marking the grave sites of  the Wright Brothers and
Paul Laurence Dunbar.

Although I saw the crossbills only in this one area, I did note stands of
these trees in three other areas of the cemetery:  a little further east
from where the birds were seen along the fence separating the cemetery from
the surrounding neighborhood, in the northwest corner of the cemetery near
Wyoming Avenue, and along the northern side of Stewart Street across from
the University of Dayton's Marycrest Hall.

Kevin Myers
Dayton