OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Brenda Rushka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 06:14:34 -0800
WW crossbills -
Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry about a reliable sighting of White Winged Crossbills.

We took the suggestion to visit the cemetery that Richard Counts posted (Oak Hill Cemetery) in Wyandot County.

As promised, there were 5-6 individual birds feeding in the hemlocks next to the Ayers Memorial (note, there is more than one Ayers memorial). This group of hemlocks had a small headstone embedded in the roots of one of the trees.

The male and 4-5 females were very tame, feeding on the ground while a couple of photographers approached within a few feet.

Thanks for the lifer!
I did not realize how beautiful these birds are (the books never do the birds justice) and how parrot-like their feeding behavior...clutching and manipulating the cones with their feet and beak, much like a parrot.

We also visited Killdeer Plains (also a side trip to the area were Richard Counts used to spread corn near the barn (sorry, can not recall the route) produced a huge group of about 200 snow buntings and many horned larks).

Killdeer Plains -
short eared owl
rough legged hawk (immature male)
pair of kestrals
red tailed hawk
pair of eagles
Amazingly, we did not spot one northern harrier and the owl woods did not produce any owls. Has anyone seen owls in that woods in a few years or has it been abandoned as a wintering site for long earred and saw whets?

Water was mostly frozen and did not produce one waterfowl sighting.

Brenda and Steve