OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Patricia Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:25:47 -0500
The Great Backyard Bird Count is almost here!

We’d like to remind you that the 12th annual Great Backyard Bird Count
takes place this coming Friday through Monday, Feb. 13-16.

We hope you’ll join bird watchers in your town and across North America who
are planning to tally the birds they see in backyards, park, nature
centers, and public lands. File your reports online at
<http://www.birdcount.org/>www.birdcount.org where you can see results
showing up on our maps in real time.

The Great Backyard Bird Count, hosted by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and
the National Audubon Society, includes a photo contest and drawings for
great prizes awarded to participants.

Most importantly it gathers a massive amount of data about where the birds
are, and in what numbers, during late winter. All this information goes
into databases that scientists use to better understand the movement and
distribution of bird populations. The information you give us gets more and
more valuable as we track the impacts of habitat loss, climate change, and
disease on our birds over time.

If you’ve never participated before­give it a try! If you’re a veteran of
the GBBC, thank you­and keep counting!

Thank you for caring about the birds.

Your friends at the Great Backyard Bird Count