OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 16:41:02 -0400
Hoping that the warm spell had allowed some early migrants to arrive, I hit the parks along this Scioto River corridor in Columbus this morning.  Sites visited included Whittier bikepath, Greenlawn cemetery, Long St. dam, Marble CLiff, and Griggs dam.  Despite the overcast skies, the rain never came and the temperature stayed mild, but the birds were mostly residents with a few winter stragglers.  Highlights included:

Wood Ducks - males were at Long St. dam and off the Whittier boat lunch
Redheads - a flock of 70 birds was swimming in the Watermark Quarry, along with a few Ring-necks and Lesser Scaup.  More Scaup were on the river at Marble Cliff.
Common Goldeneye - a flock of 16 birds, mostly females, was off the Whittier boat launch
Hooded Mergansers - pairs were at several locations at Whittier, Long St. and Marble Cliff
Turkey Vulture - 2 were around Griggs dam, the vanguard of larger numbers in the coming weeks.
Bald Eagle - I didn't see any, but two different people at Whittier told me of seeing an adult there.
GreatHornedOwl - 1 adult was at the traditional nest site in the oak south of the Pit in the cemetery.
Sapsucker - at least 1 adult is still around the Pit at the cemetery
Brown Creeper - surprisingly scarce, with only 1 found (along the River below Griggs Dam).
Golden-cr.Kinglets - singles were at several different spots, suggesting a small movement
E.Towhees - calling males were at Long St. dam and Whittier, places that didn't have them last month.
Juncos - large numbers were still at Greenlawn cemetery, and smaller numbers were at other spots.