OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 20:31:35 -0500
Hi all,

I couldn't resist making the trek up to Oberlin Reservoir in Lorain County,
to witness the gull spectacle brought to light by Gabe Leidy and Emil Bacik.
Those of us who were there weren't disappointed. Basically, this reservoir
is like a giant bathtub, and as Gabe noted, viewing the birds is a snap.
Although we were blasted by strong northerly winds and occasional snow
squalls while enjoying temps in the 20's, but that's early March in Ohio.
And sun glare off the water sometimes obscures birds, but that's easily
solved by walking to one end or another of the reservoir.

Several thousand birds loafed on the waters today, mostly Ring-billed and
Herring as would be expected. But gems were scattered liberally throughout,
offering excellent studies. We had one first-cycle Thayer's Gull, about five
Iceland Gulls (two or three adults, one or two first-cycle, and one
second-cycle), at least four Lesser Black-backed Gulls (one first-cycle, one
second-cycle, and two adults), five or six Glaucous Gulls (two or three
second-cycle birds and a few adults), and an amazing eleven or twelve Great
Black-backed Gulls (mostly adults but at least two or three first-cycle and
a second-cycle).

There was also a smattering of waterfowl, including Canada Goose, American
Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, and
Hooded Merganser. As to the latter, a small group of males were joined by a
female, and a few of the studs were making impressive displays, fanning
those magnificent crests and generally pimping about in fine form. She
appeared to ignore them. But a sure sign of spring!

This is truly an outstanding opportunity to study gulls. At one point, we
had six white-winged gulls in the same scope field, with Iceland and
Glaucous practically bumping into each other. While Oberlin Reservoir has
long been a magnet for gulls that are ordinarily found only on waters of
Lake Erie, these numbers are crazy, as are the reports from other inland
locales.

I also stopped at Wellington Reservoir, which is one of the best reservoirs
for waterfowl in northern Ohio. There I was greeted by conditions
reminiscent of January atop the bluff at Avon Lake, with pile-driving north
winds and snow squalls. There were several hundred ducks, mostly
Canvasbacks, Redheads, Lesser and at least a few Greater Scaup, and
Ring-necked Ducks. Also a few Bufflehead, American Black Duck, Mallard,
Northern Pintail, Hooded Merganser, and Ruddy Duck, as well as two
Pied-billed Grebe. Wellington Reservoir is almost always interesting and
routinely attracts goodies like scoters and Long-tailed Ducks. If you find
yourself in the area, it is always worth the stop.

Information about these two reservoirs can be found at the OOS's site guide
at: http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showcountysites.php?County_ID=47

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio