OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:38:36 -0500
Greetings from the far Northwest,

Today was wet and nasty, but good for all things waterfowly.  The Paulding Reservoir delivered our first Common Loon, a small group of Red-breasted Mergansers, and a couple of Horned Grebes.  We had just been commenting that we hadn't seen any Common Goldeneye in almost two years in the county when a small flock of them flew overhead near the Stokely Ponds at the west edge of Paulding and then landed in front of us!  We were later to see one at another pond and another at the Paulding Sewage Lagoons.  Other birds of note included three different groups of Snow Geese, Hooded Mergansers, Canvasback, Redheads, Lesser and Greater Scaup, Ringnecks, Bufflehead, Shovelers, four of those evil Mute Swans, and a smattering of  Coots.

Just last week, things were frozen up, and we were lucky to find the occasion Mallard.  What a difference a little warmup and some southerly breezes can make!  And thank God for unsettled weather that brings those wonderful birds down so we can see 'em.

Bird long and prosper,
Doug & Micki Dunakin
Antwerp, O.