OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
"McCormac, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McCormac, Jim
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 10:07:39 -0400
Hi all,

Sorry for the slightly tardy posting, but wanted to report on some
observations from extreme southern Ohio on Saturday and Sunday. I was
down mainly for the sixth annual Amish Bird Symposium in Adams County on
Saturday, which was another great event. After the conclusion of the
symposium, we ran over to nearby Adams Lake, where two Tree Swallows
were a highlight. I see that there were at least two other reports from
other locales on Saturday; always interesting how these tough little
swallows swoop back into town on the same day each year.

American Woodcock were EVERYWHERE in Adams County Saturday night. Every
suitable spot had its share of displaying males. Blackbirds -
Red-winged, Common Grackle, Eastern Meadowlark - are all over the place,
as are Killdeer. Many Eastern Phoebes were also about. The skies were
well populated with Turkey Vultures, and a few Black Vultures here and
there. Basically, most of the early spring migrants were back in force.

I stopped at the vast bottomlands where the Scioto River confluences
with the Ohio River, but there has not been enough rain of late to flood
the low-lying fields. Conditions may improve by the weekend. When this
area is well flooded, it is one of the best migratory waterfowl stopover
locales in the state. There are almost always a few deep pockets of
water near the junction of U.S. 52 and U.S. 23, and these had several
hundred Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, and lesser numbers of Wood Duck,
Gadwall, American Wigeon, American Black Duck, Mallard, Northern
Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser,
and Ruddy Duck.

Lake White, just south of Waverly along State Rte. 104 in Pike County,
had a raft of 60 Lesser Scaup and 40 Redhead, with a hanger-on Common
Goldeneye. This lake is always worth a check if you're passing by.

The big pond at Stage's Pond State Nature Preserve had a lot of divers,
mostly Redheads and Lesser Scaup, with some Hooded Mergansers,
Bufflehead, Gadwall, Northern Shoveler, etc. A Wilson's Snipe was
nearby. Stage's is in Pickaway County, not far north of Circleville.

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac

Ohio Division of Wildlife

2045 Morse Rd., G-3