OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Kimberly Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 10:08:22 EDT
Hello Everyone,

Black Swamp Bird  Observatory (BSBO) is proud to host a Waterfowl
Identification Workshop  presented by world-renowned bird expert, Kenn Kaufman, on March
21st, from 10:00  - noon in Port Clinton, Ohio.  This workshop is offered as a
stand-alone  option, or, as part of the Black Swamp Bird Observatory's Annual
Banquet &  Weekend Celebration package.  Here's a link to the registration
form with  the price break down for the event.
_http://www.bsbobird.org/events/pdf/2009_Annual_Celebration_Reservation_Form.p
df_
(http://www.bsbobird.org/events/pdf/2009_Annual_Celebration_Reservation_Form.pdf)

Please join Kenn for a  world-class workshop on Saturday, or, join the
Observatory for an entire weekend  of celebrating birds, birding, and bird
conservation.  BSBO’s banquet is  open to everyone, and we encourage you to join us!
Our keynote speaker for  Saturday night's banquet is Norman Smith, of
Massachusetts Audubon.  Norman  will be talking about his long-term study of Snowy Owls
at Boston's Logan  Airport.  His talk--lavishly illustrated with stunning
photos--takes us on  a journey that spans a lifetime of interaction with what is
undoubtedly one of  the world's most fascinating birds.

I had the great fortune of  seeing Norman's talk during the Cape May Autumn
Weekend in 2008, and I  immediately scheduled him to keynote our 2009 banquet.
Working for BSBO,  and attending birding festivals all over the world, I have
been blessed with the  opportunity to see many, many presentations about
birds and natural  history.  And this is, quite simply, one of the best programs I
have  ever seen about birds.

This year's banquet takes place  in and around Port Clinton, Ohio; a really
lovely town located within 30 minutes  of birding hotspots such as Magee Marsh
and Ottawa National Wildlife  Refuge.  BSBO has been working to form the BSBO
Business Alliance, a  partnership with many local businesses working together
to promote this area's  fabulous birding opportunities.  Many of our business
partners are involved  with the banquet this year, and thanks to their
support, most of our weekend  activities take place within walking distance of the
hotel where we have a block  of rooms reserved for just $29.99 per night!  The
evening meal features  local, organic ingredients, and, of course, shade-grown
coffee!

The Observatory has grown so much over the last few  years.  While our
commitment to migratory bird research remains as strong  as ever, BSBO’s public
education and outreach programs have grown  tremendously.  We are providing a
valuable service to the people of this  area, and the community is responding with
an outpouring of support. In a recent  meeting with a local restaurant owner
about the importance of serving  shade-grown coffee in his restaurant, he
offered me some advice about business  operations at BSBO.  When I thanked him for
it, he smiled and said, “Hey,  it's my Observatory too.”

That's the  kind of thing we'll be celebrating at this year's event.  I hope
you'll  join us.

For more information about this, or all the other  exciting opportunities
that BSBO offers birders, please visit: _www.bsbobird.org_
(http://www.bsbobird.org)

Good  Birding,

Kimberly Kaufman