OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 21:28:18 -0500
I just wanted to make a few comments on the gulls at Oberlin Reservoir.
Back in the early 90s I had some similar numbers and variety of gulls there.
This was in late December.  The gulls are definitely attracted by the nearby
dump, but there is definitely a nice movement of birds through that area.
If you talk with some of the people that have birded that reservoir for
years they can tell you about the flocks of birds passing through that area.
I remember a few times looking at the birds on the reservoir and seeing
flocks of shorebirds passing overhead.  I have seen red-throated loons,
scoters, and long-tailed ducks there also.

My best birds for the reservoir were a pair of king eiders quite a few years
ago.  The birds were photographed and seen by a few people.  We figured they
would stick around for the Elyria-Lorain Christmas Bird Count.  We let the
people know that were counting that area.  On the count they said the missed
the eiders.  They said the only birds they saw were a pair of hen mallards
that were out in the middle of the reservoir.  The eiders were both females.
The "mallards" were probably the eiders.  Unfortunately nobody had a chance
to get back to be sure.  At least we got them for count week.

It is a great birding area that is definitely worth a check if you're in the
area.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081