OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 03:03:34 -0400
Thanks to everyone with eagle nest sights....:-D It looks like the ones that are close are the ones in my back yard.  My friend sends his thanks as well.

Sounds like everyone had a great day birding.  I was not as fortunate as I wanted to be but I was given a lot of great birds none the less.

I went to Greenlawn to look for the owl, She wasn't out that morning...but it wasn't wasted because I went down to the feeders and observed my first true Hairy Woodpecker; a male...I thought that I had seen one before but I think that I was mistaken.  So I am going to count today's as a first timer.  The other usual suspects were there including 6 Canada Geese whooping it up!  I thought a graveyard was supposed to be a place of reverence and peace...:-D

I then set off to blendon hoping to catch a glance of the dicksisel...with again; not there...I had to leave at two so I wasn't able to stay very long.

But down at the pond I saw 40+Geese, two shovelers, the usual black duck residents (got some good closeups of that one), 6 male wood ducks, 2 female. 1 mallard pair and yet another first for me a black/mallard cross...or is it mallard/black cross...half green head and black duck for the rest.

I heard and caught a glimps of a kingfisher at the pond as well.

I also heard what I thought was Piliated...BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! (Imagin Jackhammer here) but no visual or vocals cues so I'm not going to say deffinately.

While at the bird feeders I got to see a beutiful example of a white throated sparrow, two red bellies...courting...;-), and another Hairy, female this time.

Red tails were everywhere between Blendon Woods and East Liberty...there were two putting on an arieal display at the pond. One had  just caught a wabbit over on Sawmill's exit. At about every two miles on 33, there was a pair of red tails doing this or that.

Happy Birding and God Bless

Steve

Ezekiel 17:22-24

22 " 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will take a shoot from the very top of a cedar and plant it;
I will break off a tender sprig from its topmost shoots and plant it on a high and lofty mountain.

23 On the mountain heights of Israel I will plant it; it will produce branches and bear fruit and become a splendid cedar.
Birds of every kind will nest in it; they will find shelter in the shade of its branches.

24 All the trees of the field will know that I the LORD bring down the tall tree and make the low tree grow tall.
I dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish.
      " 'I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it.' "