OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 21:33:21 -0500
http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/GeaugaRaptors#

Here are several shots (Adam's, not mine!) of Rough-legged Hawks (light,
dark, male, female, fighting, hovering), a male Northern Harrier that caught
a small mammal, what I believe is an immature Sharp-shinned Hawk that just
finished chasing a group of sparrows through shrubbery next to a house and a
lone immature Bald Eagle that was really close to the road.  We started on
Nauvoo Road at the cheese factory (Rt. 608) and ended at Hayes Road, n & s
of Nauvoo.  The pictures are from both Saturday and Sunday.

Who would think you would have to deal with heat shimmer on days like
yesterday and today.  However, that is exactly what we encountered on all
shots low to the ground.  Also, most of these birds were far away and even
the 400mm lens was stretched!

I had excellent views of all these birds with my 8 x 42 binocular so you
don't need a spotting scope.

We also saw Horned Larks and flocks of similar size birds on the fields that
I could not identify because of the shimmer (buntings & Longspurs???).  A
Red-tailed hawk was seen on Saturday near Hayes and Nauvoo.

Enjoy,

Matt & Adam Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH