OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 21:49:05 EST
Hello!

Late this afternoon, I stopped by Hoover Reservoir north of Columbus to
observe the insane number of gulls that were floating on and flying over the
reservoir.  It was reminiscent of a day at E. 72nd Street along Lake Erie  in
mid-January.  When I arrived at the access closest to the dam, I ran  into Dave
Slager who had located a Glaucous Gull and Lesser Black-Backed Gull  that were
easily observed.  Dave also indicated that he observed the  Black-Legged
Kittiwake on the far side of the reservoir before I  arrived.  Dave reported in an
earlier post today that the gull numbers  (primarily Ring-Billed) exceeded
10,000 but we both agreed that the number  likely was much higher as there were
non-stop gulls from the dam up at least to  the Red Bank access.  The city
ranger stopped by and commented on the gull  numbers and said that the gulls were
like this all the way up the  reservoir.  Several people driving by stopped to
photograph the gulls and  ask questions about them. The howling winds and snow
flurries made observations  more difficult (and brief) but I did not find any
other rarities between the dam  and the Red Bank access in the hour or so
that I looked.  There were  numerous gulls floating on the water and in the air
at the far (east)  side of the reservoir so there is a good potential for  the
presence of other rarities.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio
steps!