OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Julie Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:12:02 -0400
It is a great time to get out to see waterfowl! This time of year they are
going through their courtships, throwing their heads back, whistling, and
showing off their stuff!

The Toussaint Wildlife Area is a little known area in the Lake Erie Marsh
region.  It had a great diversity of waterfowl this morning. Thirteen
species including Trumpeter Swans, Canada Geese, Wood Duck, American Wigeon,
American Black Duck, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Northern
Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Common Merganser, and Hooded
Merganser. Nonwaterfowl related, I saw and heard a Wilson's Snipe. The first
for me for the year!

For those of you shy on your waterfowl ID, there is a great opportunity at a
sweet price to learn your waterfowl next Saturday morning in Port Clinton
presented by Kenn Kaufman with the Black Swamp Bird Observatory. For more
information on the weekend activities check out www.bsbobird.org
<http://www.bsbobird.org/> .

Enjoy the season,

Julie Shieldcastle