OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:02:53 -0400
My dad was in town and there was a little light left so we breezed by the Big Island Wetlands on the way home.  He is from Kentucky and had never been to the Wetlands so this was a treat for him.   We pulled in and got out just as the sun was starting to set.  It was beautiful.  So we set up to take some pics of the sun setting at the old ponds.

We were also there to look at the eagles and we weren't dissapointed however I looked up at what I thought was a harrier at first and snapped a picture...it was a Short Ear Owl!  I hadn't seen any all winter since the time I saw them earlier in the year.

We saw another silowhet in the air and spotted an Eagle....It landed in the Elgin School nest area.  To dark to see what tree it went to...I thought that nest had been abandoned... Can anyone confirm if there is actual nesting activity in that nest?

We also saw a couple of pintails, ringnecks, shovelers lots of mallards, gulls, and of course Canada geese.  Had black birds calling and Killdeer "kreeing" as well.

After that, the sunset was so overwhelming that I had to stop looking at one side of creation to just sit and be inspired by the sights and sounds of another.  Truely, truely awesome.

Happy Birding and God Bless

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)

Genesis 1.20

And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky."