OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Lukas Padegimas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lukas Padegimas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:20:19 -0400
Yesterday, March 14, 2009, I joined the Kirtland Bird Club in going to
Killdeer Plains... The waterfowl was very abundant. At the end of the day,
I had seen all the common migarants save for the Greater Scaup.
During the trip, one strange species of note was a bird that looked like a
Canada Goose, but had an orange bill, orange feet, and 3 white streaks on
each side. Some belive that this must be a crossing between a Canada Goose
and a Greater White Fronted Goose. However, could it be something unusual
from Europe - afterall, it was larger then the other Canada Geese in the
Pond.
After most of the people on the trip dispersed, a few of us remained and
saw some truely exceptional birds.
They inclueded, Henry and Olivia Burton, Jason and Jaimie, two other
people, and me.

Highlights inclued:
5 Short Eared Owls (both males and females)
1 BOBWHITE (a female, that flew from under my feet)
1 Female Long-tailed Duck at Lake Medina

Here is a list of all the birds we saw:
Red-winged Blackbird
American Crow
Northern Cardinal